Sunday 7 January 2007

My Little Garden

We are on water restrictions, have been for a year or so, and they were made more severe on New Years Day. I am only allowed to water with a hose twice a week. It's been very hot this last week and I have been bucketing water from the washing machine when I did a load and have shallow bowls in the bathroom basin and the sink.


I think these measures will keep the tomatoes and a few precious pot plants alive.


I love Pelagoniums and Geraniums, not sure what the difference is, perhaps someone can enlighten me?????????


This is one of my favourites.




It started as a cutting from a quilting friend, and I have since given cuttings to a few quilting friends. It is a very dark purple, almost black. Love the hardiness of Pelagoniums, they love a prune, and are fairly low maintenence, a lot of the time I prune them to add to the compost bin.


Perhaps in a few months time they will be the only survivors in my little courtyard! I am always on the hunt for new specimens, and often leave a meeting, or a friends place with a few cuttings.


This courtyard was disgusting when we moved in. Cooch Grass and dog shit! I went about the work gradually, one area at a time, pulling out the grass and adding mulch to stop the weeds coming back. I had a few old realible plants from the old house, agapanthus and ivy leafed geranium, a few lavenders and rosemary, cacti for the edges.


It's taken me 2 years, but I'm quite happy with my little garden, it gives me pleasure and helps feed us too.

2 comments:

catsmum said...

Megan
I need a cutting of that pelargonium. I don't have any that are such a deep saturated colour.
pleasepleaseplease?

btw you should check out all the comments on my blog about your cat quilt

Meg said...

I'd love to give you a cutting, it's a ripper!
Always have some cuttings growing in smaller pots, so let me know when you are next down this way, or i'll bring some up next time.